Mike Stubbs . People . Friday 11th November 2016 . 13:51
Caster Christopher "MonteCristo" Mykles has revealed that Blizzard paid him more for two weeks work on the Overwatch World Cup than Riot did for a five week long World Championship.
In an interview with Yahoo eSports, which can be seen below, MonteCristo revealed that Blizzard was paying what he called “industry standard rates” while Riot is apparently far from that.
“Blizzard paid me more for two weeks here [at the Overwatch World Cup] than Riot has paid me in five weeks for a World Championship, so they are actually hitting industry standard rates,” said MonteCristo in the interview.
MonteCristo and Riot have been disagreeing with each other for some time. Riot banned MonteCristo from team ownership earlier this year after his Renegades team was found to be breaking pre imposed sanctions. Since the the caster has continued to cover LoL in Korea for OGN, but has also branched out into Overwatch. He did not cast at the League of Legends World Championships this year, despite being a regular at the event.
Further into the interview MonteCristo went into detail about Riot’s rules for their casters, and how it restricts them.
“I don't think there is a tier one freelance caster on the planet who is already in Dota or CS:GO or League, like I was, or maybe even the new upcoming Overwatch League that would say [Riot] is a place that casters want to go,” said MonteCristo.
The full interview can be seen below. MonteCristo starts talking about Riot and its casters around the seven minute mark.