Mike Stubbs . People . Friday 3rd June 2016 . 07:41
MVP Balck, who are generally regarded as the best Heroes of the Storm team in the world, may leave the game at the end of the year.
Team coach, Gwang Bok Kim, said in an interview with Korean eSports site DailyEsports that his team are not happy with multiple aspects of the game and the professional scene surrounding it.
“In case of Dota 2 the character’s’ skill are all flashy and exciting, but in Heroes you can’t help but feel the skills have been toned down over time,” said Kim. “As everyone agrees, the rate of Hero release is also too slow. And there are no tournaments outside of the Blizzard sponsored ones. I don’t know whether MVP Black’s players will continue playing Heroes after this year.”
One of the team’s biggest bugbears is regarding the prize money and amount of top tournaments on offer. Last year at Blizzcon, Blizzard announced multiple major tournaments with $500,000 prize pools, however this has lead to them becoming the only events that players think are worth playing as other third parties cannot match the money on offer.
This lack of regular tournaments has made sponsors reluctant to move into the game, as their logos would not get as much airtime as in the LCS, where each team plays twice every week during the season. With no money coming into the scene Kim’s comments become more understandable.
If even the best team in the world is contemplating leaving, despite often winning all of the major tournaments and walking away with the most money possible, then there is something clearly wrong with the Heroes of the Storm scene. Whether Blizzard can save the floundering MOBA remains to be seen, but the outlook does not look good.